Thursday, December 27, 2012

Amber's list of '2012' favorite books

For some reason, this year was Amber's year to read. I couldn't get enough of it. I am 100% sure BOTH Richard and Sophie have been neglected this year. With the final tally of 70 books finished, I decided I would make a list of my ten favorites. Purely for my own entertainment and mostly because I do not want to do the dishes.

I find that as it gets cooler outside I read less. Mainly do to the fact that I love being outdoors and the 110-115 degree weather prompts me to stay inside during the summer. Anyway here we go:

Since I am not sure how to "underline" on my Iphone, we are going to use our imaginations and pretend that I underlined the book titles. See.. I am "mostly" educated. Fo' Sho'

Number 10: "The Masque of the Red Death" by Bethany Griffin

It takes a lot of talent to take somebody else's work and add characters, plot, depth, and excitement to their original idea. Oh wait.... No it doesn't. Anyway.. I liked this book because I like Edgar Allen Poe and I thought she did a good job sticking to his characters, making them come alive, and still sticking to Poe's original plot. 3/5 stars

Number 9: "Delirium" by Lauren Oliver

It's no secret that I like the "dystopian" fever that is spreading. Not because I like stories that defy the government (I love to read those in April) but I like the "adventure" and seeing a world that is fictitious but could really happen if humanity goes "unchecked". This one is about "love" and it's unhealthy affect on society. Once you turn of age they cure you of all lovey and lustful emotions (called delirium) and all the destruction it causes. Apparently hormones, emotions, and lust are the root of all that is evil. 2/5 stars

Number 8: "Her Daughter's Dream" and "Her Mother's Hope" by Francine Rivers

I listened to both of these on our way to Iowa this summer. I still think about them often. How the lack of communication and misunderstanding the motives of mothers and their daughters can alter the lives of so many. It is a beautiful story of four generations of women and how they relate to each other. It makes me think of how peoples' lives could be different if we just took the time to be open and honest. So much unnecessary bitterness and hostility. 3/5 stars

Number 7:"The Knife of Never Letting Go" by Patrick Ness.

This one was hard for me to rate. I ended up giving it 3/5 stars. I like the concept and it was exciting. I had a hard time getting over the spelling errors though. Yes, I know they are SUPPOSE to be there. My eye would slightly twitch when I read one but only the right eye and only "just a little" You will either love this book or hate it. It co-stars a dog. Enough said. 3/5 stars

Number 6: "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett"

Sigh... I laughed. I laughed some more. Then I cried. The one thing I like about this book is it doesn't just show "mean-oppressive-white-rich people" It is a story of MANY people and all their faults. It shows how culture can easily "adapt and create environments that are not healthy or ethical, and truly believe it is normal to behave in certain ways. It shows racism between black, white, rich, poor, high class, and middle class. Beautiful. 5/5 stars

Number 5: "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" by Ransom Riggs

What could more fun than children who have supernatural powers that stay hidden from the real world and are being chased by monsters? Not a whole lot my friends. Not a whole lot. 3/5 stars

Number 4: "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak"

Narrated by Death during WWII in Germany. What I like most about this book is it is told from the perspective of common people of Germany. Not many WWII era books do that. This was excellent. 5/5 stars

Number 3: "Safely Home" by Randy Alcorn

Don't read this book in public. Unless you like people watching you ugly cry. I couldn't show my face at Starbucks for months. This book is about the price you pay for serving Jesus Christ. Something Americans take for granted. 5/5 stars

Number 2: "The Night Circus"

Exciting. Fun. Magic. Greed. A contest to the death. And A CIRCUS!!!

This book was so much fun. I couldn't stop and was almost depressed when it was over. I hope they make a movie. 5/5 stars

**********Drum roll**********

Amber's Number 1 book of 2012:

"Divergent" and "Insurgent" by Veronica Roth

Read it. You're welcome.


Oh.... Dishes. Blah.


If you love books or you are looking for something good to read you should consider becoming a part of www.goodreads.com. It's pretty much the best thing ever.



No comments:

Post a Comment